Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday Thanks Tank #75



I woke up grumpy this morning. Actually, I went to bed feeling dissatisfied and I woke up feeling exasperated. I continued to struggle as I faced my wrecked kitchen and my fighting kids. I spent much of the day trying to adjust my attitude. Somewhere in the middle of the day after reading and reflecting (how I was able to manage that in the chaos and put together a coherent thought amazes me when I think about it), I realized that I want to give thanks with more than just my lips (or in this case the keystrokes on my computer). I want to give thanks with my heart. I want it to be more than just being thankful by sheer willpower. It took willpower and dedication to cultivate a feeling of thankfulness today. I decided, though, that I want my character to reflect thankfulness. I decided that thankfulness is more a condition of my heart than a state of mind. I need to give thanks by faith in the promises of God. God promises that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose". I believe that means that God will use all things for my good. In other words, all things that happen to me can be used to make me more like him ("be conformed to the likeness of his Son"). I can be thankful in all things because all things can be used to make me more Christ-like. Ok, bear with me here, I am saying that even when I don't feel good or my circumstances are not ideal, I should thank God because 1) he commanded me (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18) and 2)I know all circumstances can bring me closer to him.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
The only way I can imagine giving thanks continutally is to pray continually. This is my heart's desire.

Here's are a few things that have filled my "Thanks Tank" lately:
1. Visiting Friends (we had such a fantastic trip to visit friends last weekend)
2. Reading (Refreshes my soul)
3. Flowers (I zipped into Trader Joes rather quickly to get 1 item and they were giving away free roses!! Too many left from Valentine's day- how cool is a dozen free roses?!)
4. My children laughing (This always makes me smile)
5. Rocking my little girl (Not much is sweeter for me right now)
6. Sunshine (I enjoy every ray and every glimpse of blue sky.)
7. A clean kitchen sink (such a good feeling)
8. Blueberry Pancakes (We had breakfast for dinner - YUMMY)
9. Viewing pictures of long distance friends and family online (email, FB, myspace)
10. Chocolate Covered Strawberries (Oh my, this is the best taste in the whole world and I had some on Sunday.)

3 comments:

Becca said...

I'm glad other people eat breakfast for dinner. Sometimes my friends think I'm weird for having eggs and toast for dinner. WTG on remembering to be thankful for things and not just complain!

Beth E. said...

I woke up grumpy, too...but, he fell back asleep when I went to take my shower! Haha

Seriously, I hope you are feeling better today. This is a great post, and we both have much to be thankful for!

Blessings...
Beth E.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Great list...all truly wonderful things to be thankful for!