Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Works-For-Me-Wednesday: Mom, I'm Bored Edition


When I saw that it was time for the "Mom, I'm Bored Summer Edition of Works-For-Me-Wednesday," I went into a bit of a panic. "What AM I going to do with my four kids all summer?" I couldn't think of a thing. So, I planned to just read the posts of all of the other smart people.

Then, as I was making Rice Krispie Treats at about 10:30 on Tuesday night (so my kids could have dessert tomorrow in their school lunch), I came up with a plan.



My plan: I am going to cook with my kids this summer.

The rice krispies brought back a memory. I was sleeping over at a friend's house and my friend's mom said we could make rice krispies. I had never made them. She had. My mom made them for me. Her mom let her make them.

I am going to make rice krispie treats with my kids and cookies and maybe even cupcakes.

I am also going to let them help make dinner.

I am going to do this a lot. (So, please, if you know me personally, ask me how I am doing with the goal.)

It takes more time to cook with kids than without them. They will love it. They will benefit from it. And, if I do it right (plan extra time for it) we will have a lot of fun spending time together cooking.


For more wonderful tips to combat summer boredom, go to We Are That Family. If you are like me, you can use all the help you can get.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan! I have one who loves to cook! She makes the best scrambled eggs.

One of my summer plans is to give the kids a writing journal and a couple of times a week, give them a little prompt to draw and/or write about ( I do have girls). I cleaned out a file cabinet a couple of days ago and found a whole bunch of cute ideas and typed them all up. Lest you think I'm a terrible mother who will make my kids do school all summer, we did also just buy a pool today a Costco - a big one!

Love all your great ideas, Jane Anne!
Sharon

Lori Yoder said...

What a great plan! My kids LOVE to cook and can actually cook quite a bit, but there are more things they want to learn and I always put it off during the school year because we don't have time. I'll be implementing this for those things!

I'd love if you'd link this to my Tuesday's Tips!

Thanks!

McCrakensx4 said...

What a GREAT plan! That is awesome and I am sure they will love it...and they will get to eat the fruits of their labor!! And get a great feeling of accomplishment for sure! I should do that with my boys...they love being in the kitchen! Thanks for the idea

samantha said...

Some of my favorite memories as a kid was cleaning corn, snapping green beans and baking cookies. I will be checking up with you hehe =)

Denise said...

I've been doing this for years with my kids. Today, I'm sick & my 12 yr old son & almost 10 yr old daughter cooked dinner by themselves so I could rest. It was delicious & they are both very proud of themselves.

Missy said...

I love cooking with my kids. Your right, it does take longer, but over the last couple of years I have realized that i just budget that extra time into my dinner prep.

I have also noticed that when they help prepare and cook things, they are far more likely to eat them.