Monday, November 08, 2010

Going Deeper

Tonight I visited with a friend- a new friend.

We've known each other for a while. We are just becoming friends. We are moving from the past being acquaintance friends to being friends.
What does that mean? I don't know, except that it is more. It was connecting when there isn't a reason or commitment to do so.

We talked about kids, the school, our families. We were building a bridge in our relationship. In one sense it was just your average get-to-know you conversation. On the surface, I'm sure that's what it could have sounded like to the others around us. For me, it was heart-warming. It was refreshing.

We talked and we listened.
We laughed.
It was more than a friendly smile, wave or nod, as we pick up our kids.

All it took was for both of us being willing to step out of our routine and do something outside of a scheduled activity.

I am reminded:
Going deeper in friendship means investing when it's not required or even suggested.


I want to talk. I want to listen.
I want to invest in others.

I give my time to so much.
I want to give my time to individuals.
Maybe I can only give to a few at a time.

I want to go deeper. I want to give more meaningfully.

I want to be present when it's not required.
I want to plan ahead.
I want to make a point to make plans outside of events.
I want to invest in friendships.
I want to go deeper.

This is not easy. It's not easy when you have kids. It's not easy when you work. It's not easy when you are involved in your community.

I'm convinced it matters that I take time to show others than I care... about them.

That person that I respect.
That person that I think is so nice.
That person that like.
That person that I don't know but I am around constantly.

I want to show them that I care.

Call. Email. Or Call. Text. Write a note. Or Call.
Invite.
Thank.
Compliment.
Do something unexpected.

I want to go deeper. I want to develop my connections with those around me.

I hope this longing never subsides.
I pray I will always go deeper in my relationships.

~~~
You are relational.
There is no limit to love.
Go Deeper.
Do More.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

What a great post. Sometimes I find it hard to go deeper as an adult, the fear of getting hurt is greater now to me.

Hugs & love,
Mimi

McCrakensx4 said...

wow..what a great post and I agree with what Mimi said in her comment. I am finding a new friendship with someone I really never dreamed I would. we don't have too much in common, but our friendship, now that it is turning into more than an aquiantence, is becoming comfortable...and the best thing...we are going to church together.

Missy said...

What a beautiful post JA. This is definitely something I am striving so much harder to do myself as well.