Sunday, November 21, 2010

Like a Little Child

It was one of those Sunday mornings.

I held her but I couldn't contain her. My daughter did not want to be in my lap and she definitely did not want to be still and quiet.

My 5 year old kept asking questions. I kept hushing him.

My 7 year old wanted a pencil, too. I shushed him.

At one point, my 9 year old leaned over from the row behind us and did something to the 5 year old. The 5 year old whined his brother's name loudly in protest.

All the while, my daughter was trying to color on the hymnal. The church bulletin was not right. The clean white pages of the hymnal beckoned to her. She managed to get a few scribbles in as I answered spelling questions for my 5 year old.

Then, we prayed. Or, the minister led the church in prayer. Over and over during the prayer, I repeated, "Shhhhh! We are praying." My last admonishment was more urgent and accurate as I whispered, "SHH! He is praying."

My children love coming to church. Most Sundays, I am stressed during the short period they are all in the service with me. (They all go to separate places after the children's time of the service.)

My children love coming to church.

As I watched my children crowd the minister during children's time, I couldn't help but wonder about the reason the disciples rebuked the children that were brought to Jesus. (Matthew 19:13-15) Were they acting like kids?

Today, I wanted to contain my children so those around me could worship without interruption.

I wonder, would my behavior draw indignation from Jesus? (Mark 10:14)

Is what I am offering God as heartfelt and earnest as my son's drawing on an offering envelope?



I need
~a simple faith
~an ardent desire to worship
~transparency with myself, those around me, and God
~a spirit that cannot be quieted


Mark 10:15 "Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”

1 comment:

Foursons said...

You are not alone. I think this is an age-old issue w/many of us moms.